Students register using Bear Tracks, an interactive service for students and applicants. Information on how to register for Fall and Winter terms, including course listings describing each class and indicating the units of course weight, class structure and fee index, and class schedules are on the Bear Tracks website.
Permission to Register letters are no longer mailed to continuing students and departments are no longer required to distribute registration materials to continuing students, starting with students registering for Fall 2005/Winter 2006.
Instead, continuing students receive an e-mail from the Registrar's Office directing them to their Bear Tracks account. Here, students can access their registration eligibility date, unofficial transcripts and instructions on where to pick up a University Calendar.
Registration information for Spring and Summer terms is provided in the Spring/Summer Guide which is available from various locations on campus such as the FGSR, Students' Union Building, Central Academic Building, etc. Information contained in the Spring/Summer Guide is also available on the Registrar’s website at www.registrar.ualberta.ca
Students build a timetable using the listing of courses found on Bear Tracks; a blank Timetable Planner from the Printable Forms page (available in PDF) is a helpful tool.
Students register using Bear Tracks to:
- Add courses to their registration up until the term registration deadline
- Drop courses from their registration up until the term registration deadline
- Swap one course for another up until the term registration deadline
During the time Bear Tracks is available, all students who are eligible should use it to register and make all possible changes to their registration.
The registration deadlines are:
Fall and Winter Terms:
For Fall Term and Fall/Winter Term courses, Bear Tracks is available until midnight on the tenth day of classes in September.
For Winter Term courses Bear Tracks is available until midnight on the tenth day of classes in January.
Spring and Summer Terms:
For Spring Term and two-term courses, Bear Tracks is available until midnight on the third day of the Spring term.
For Summer term courses, Bear Tracks is available until midnight on the third day of the Summer term.
Transactions available through the system:
- Add courses (all section types – LEC, LAB, SEM, CLN) except courses closed to web registration, which require approval of the teaching department
- Drop courses, except those closed to web registration
- List course selections
- Cancel registration
Transactions not available through the system:
- Courses closed to web registration
- Registration in more than one degree program
- Courses extra to the degree
- Audits extra to the degree
- Late registration
- Off-campus registration (including off-campus thesis)