Extensions are required for all continuing graduate students whose time limit to complete their program has been reached.
Students whose time limit has been reached are not permitted to register until the extension has been approved by the FGSR.
To request an extension, the department must submit a Request for a Program Extension form and attach the following information:
- a summary of the student's progress to date
- the timetable for completion preferably approved by the supervisor and/or supervisory committee
- an explanatory letter from the supervisor
- an explanatory letter from the student with the expected date of completion
- written departmental recommendation
Extensions are viewed as exceptions and are for a defined period of one year or less.
For more information, see the Graduate Program Manual--Section 6: Program Planning & Registration and Section 7: Administration of Graduate Programs.